I entered the Mompreneur awards … Here’s how I’m feeling.
There’s a thrill of blended excitement and trepidation that trickles down my spine when I do things that step me outside my comfort zone.
- Hiking the fjords in Iceland (breathtaking!)
- Taking over my parent’s bankrupt business (so rewarding).
- And entering the Mompreneur awards (fingers crossed)!
I’ll be honest: All these things scared the heck out of me!
Because these aren’t small, mundane things. They’re putting-yourself-out-there, bucket-list-worthy, hugely-important-to-me things that gave me butterflies and anxious hiccups.
I am a BIG believer in having it all. Who says you can’t build, grow and run a successful business AND create your dream lifestyle? Who says you can’t be an entrepreneur and a mother?
Spoiler: You can. And whoever is telling you that is wrong.
Anything is possible. No matter what challenges you face.
This belief has powered every action I’ve taken in my life and business. And it’s one I was (very happily and gladly!) raised on.
I grew up surrounded by a rainbow of coloured paint cans and fan decks. My parents launched their own milk paint company when I was just three years old (and, as any parent knows, a very easy age to handle! Haha jokes, we know the truth).
They both worked full-time jobs but came home to build their dream business, together.
They were my ultimate role models: Parents working hard to make a life for themselves and their family.
My mission for my life today is as simple and as complex as that.
Because life as a mompreneur? It isn’t always easy. And while my family supported my vision, having a child and running a business at the same time didn’t seem possible. It’s not an image we have painted for us as women in today’s society.
But when I got pregnant with my son only six months into launching Fusion™, it was time to figure it out. Having my son was, and is, the biggest blessing in my life. It’s not easy to keep all the balls in the air, especially as a single mom, but it’s possible and I am proof of that.
My parents taught me the value of a strong work ethic and the unwavering belief that anything is possible – a vision I now share with my son.
Now, I’m not sure if I will win a Mompreneur award.
I hope I do (!), but I also know that there are so many women out there who are equally as deserving as I am.
But I also know … anything is possible. 😉
So I’m going to pull on my positivity pants and remind myself why I deserve to win this award.
Six reasons I’m worthy of a Mompreneur award
- When I was just 23, I stepped in to take over my parent’s business and (successfully!) save it from bankruptcy, preserving our family heritage and ensuring the world had access to the beauty of milk paint.
- At age 27, I helped develop and launch a brand that went international, the Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint collection, a game-changing line of biodegradable milk paint., and my first ever Private Label!
- Two years later, with growing demand and network of international retailers under my belt, I launched Fusion™ Mineral Paint.
- Today, our paint is sold in over 20 countries worldwide.
- I’ve inspired thousands of humans across the globe to let their imagination run wild while they lose and find themselves in the creativity of painting.
- I pride myself on being eco-conscious, in business and at home, and I’m proud that our paint is made in Canada and that each pot of inspiration is made from recycled materials and filled and labelled by hand.
Because I’m passionate about empowering the current and next generation of female entrepreneurs to follow their dreams and believe that anything is possible.
… Because it is!